Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Giving it a "tri"!

Well, as if the Foerschlers aren't busy enough, I've decided to add something else to our daily grind.  I'm going to do my first ever triathlon.  January 13, 2013! Yep, I'm crazy, but there is some thought behind this.  Here is how I justify adding this our already hectic lives:
  1. I will be done nursing soon, so I need to do something to burn the same amount of calories as nursing does.
  2. I'm doing a "mini" indoor triathlon, so it's not that bad, right?! (eek)
    1. 500 yard swim
    2. 6 mile bike
    3. 2 mile run
  3. I've swam my entire life, so I need to be incorporating this into my workout.  And for most, swimming is the hardest part of the tri, so hopefully for me it will be the easiest.
  4. I enjoy competing, but I'm not sold on making a goal to do a 1/2 or full marathon.
  5. According to my dad, this is when I should be doing a tri...before I get too old.
I do question why I see the need to compete in a triathlon.  I mean, as a working mom, I'm daily completing a decathlon:
Event 1: wake up and get out of bed
Event 2: nurse the baby
Event 3: shower
Event 4: get the baby dressed
Event 5: load everything in the car (baby, food, pump, computer, etc)
Event 6: work (by this I mean, at my job)
Event 7: pick up baby before the babysitter is too exhausted
Event 8: fix dinner, eat, feed baby
Event 9: bathe the baby
Event 10: put everyone to bed

And that's why I feel like an Olympic Gold medal winner every night! haha!

But, I am very excited to do this.  I've always wanted to, so I guess right now is as good a time as any.  I'm hoping my sister and dad will do it with me (no pressure).  I'm hoping to be better at managing my time so I can get in the workouts and have quality time with the Fam.  I'm excited, yet nervous.  Biking will most likely be the most difficult for me as I've never done that in a competition.  It will be quite the adventure.

So, it's time to dust off the old cap and goggles and get busy training!  1 day down, 10 and 1/2 weeks till the race!

And the moral of the story is...well, I'm not sure yet.  I'll come back to this after it's over. :)

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! I've always wanted to try a triathalon - which one are you doing? I'll look into it. I need a new goal!

    ReplyDelete